Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hello!

Hi, my name is Kevin Alvarez. I am a Senior Political Science major with minors in Women's Studies and Latin American and Caribbean Studies. After graduation I plan on taking the GRE and applying for graduate schools in New York, California, and (only one) in Florida. Hopefully I will be accepted into either an Environmental Policy and Science or Latin American and Caribbean Studies Masters Program. I spend way too much time reading the news, typically putting off work for it. This is my final Women's Studies course and I am extremely excited for it since there wasn't as much of an emphasis on international women's movements or struggles in my past WST courses.

I am working on an Honors in the Major thesis titled, "Where has the Revolution gone? Gender and Politics in Contemporary Nicaragua." For this project I will be traveling to Nicaragua next month to interview prominent people in Nicaragua on the contemporary political, economic, social, and cultural situations facing women. For my service learning I will be (hopefully) presenting a documentary-style film on women in Nicaragua which will (again hopefully) include interviews from the Director of UNIFEM in Nicaragua, Political Party officials, a representative from the Nicaraguan Women's Association, and several workers' unions.

Here is a short (~5 mins) film on Nicaraguan women dealing with the full-abortion ban recently instituted:



For the longer version, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kevin. You are one of my top 5 favorite feminists. Best of luck on your research.

    ReplyDelete