Friday, January 29, 2010

Introduction post: Naples and Desai

Ferree and Tripp:
I, like a few others who have posted, found the authors' distinction between women's movements and feminism particularly interesting (and important). I know many of us have had discussions, both in and out of class, of what makes something feminist, especially when discussing other women's groups.
I didn't expect the authors to actually have an answer to the question, so I was pleasantly surprised when they did. Essentially, women's movements view women as a constituency while feminism is viewed as a goal. I expect that the authors' definition might be too simple, but I think this is a good starting place and an adequate definition for the purposes of this class.
This is slightly off topic, but I'm reminded of Manifesta by Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards. The final chapter of the book describes what a day with feminism would be like (access to a safe abortion, equal pay, etc.). If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it!

Prior to reading this, I didn't even realize that there have been three waves of transnational feminism, which makes me feel incredibly ignorant. I was left with a lot of questions after reading this part of the text. If individual countries have their own movements, then how can we group them collectively? I remember reading in another class that we shouldn't split feminism into waves because it signifies that feminism is not a constant thing. It seems like it would be even more unwise to attempt to split up transnational feminism. What do you think?

Naples & Desai:
I'd like to take the opportunity to expand on something I learned while reading this chapter.
On page 6, the author briefly mentions the center/periphery theory, but doesn't really explain what it is.

The centre–periphery (or core–periphery) model is a spatial metaphor which describes and attempts to explain the structural relationship between the advanced or metropolitan ‘centre’ and a less developed ‘periphery’, either within a particular country, or (more commonly) as applied to the relationship between capitalist and developing societies. The former usage is common in political geography, political sociology, and studies of labour-markets.


A center country is typically a more powerful country, but might be without resources (say, the United States). The periphery countries are usually less powerful, have more resources and might already be at an economic disadvantage. The center country creates agreements with the peripheries in order to extract resources, and even exploit the other countries. Commonly, the center/periphery countries are developed/developing as well.

It's going to be important for us to understand some political and economic theory for this class...I don't know about you all, but I don't know any. So thanks to Kevin for helping me through the reading. Ask him if you have any questions. :D


Questions:
Does the purpose of an organization influence whether it's considered part of a women's movement? If, by the authors' definition, women's movements are defined by the fact that they use women as a constituency, then can conservative groups claim to be part of the women's movement? For example, there is a new organization on campus billing itself as a “conservative women's book club.” They are adamant that feminism is not the answer, but still work for equality. They argue that “a woman can be a corporate executive and still have time to bake cookies and take the kids to soccer practice.” Obviously, they are not feminist. But they argue that they are working toward a better life for women. Are they part of the women's movement?


I personally feel like it's been a disadvantage to us that we've, for the post part, only had the opportunity to learn about American feminism in our Women's Studies classes. I feel like I am part of the American bourgeoisie that the texts frequently criticize Americans of. What do you think? Should there be an added emphasis of transnational issues in other classes? Or does one course suffice?

- Bianca

7 comments:

  1. Hi Novitiate,

    Your question, "Does the purpose of an organization influence whether it's considered part of a women's movement? If, by the authors' definition, women's movements are defined by the fact that they use women as a constituency, then can conservative groups claim to be part of the women's movement?" is quite thought-provoking and merits attention. You go on to use UCF's conservative female book club as an example of this concept -- that some may assert that it's "okay" to be pro-woman or women's movement, yet anti-feminist, which may cause a disconnect when it comes to genuine progress in regards to the quality of life for women everywhere.

    My question is, do you think that the members of this particular group and others like it are really anti-feminists, or is it possible that they are simply misunderstanding the complexity of what it is to be a feminist? If they believe in and work for women's equality as they claim, does that not make them feminists by definition? I think this begs the question, what is it about the term "feminist" that causes some to shy away from associating themselves as such? What are the stereotypes of (American) feminism and why?

    I also think it is interesting that you say, "Obviously they are not feminist," which they would most likely agree with, but it's interesting to see the different interpretations of what different people think it means to be a feminist, which in essence is what this class is all about. Why can't a woman who values both her career and her family call herself a feminist, or in the case of this book club, why can't they BE feminists? It only becomes problematic when women assume that they MUST follow the gender roles seen as normal by society, and then judge others who "deviate" from those roles: "I MUST be a good wife and have a hot dinner on the table when my husband comes home from work," or I MUST have children and put them before my career," etc. Is it just as problematic, though, to assume that you have to fit into a certain stereotype to call yourself a feminist? These are all questions worth considering.

    By the way, I don't think that you meant that a woman can't have a family and a career in order to be a feminist, but your choice of words was interesting, and I thought it would be a good way to spark discussion on the stereotypes of feminism. :-) I welcome comments and questions from all of you!

    ~Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. To comment on your second question, I definitely think there should be an emphasis on transnational womyn's issues and the status of womyn around the world. While I was reading I also felt very uninformed about feminist movement outside of the United States, and not only should there be more discussion in class but I must take initiative to expand my views. I became disheartened while reading Tripp's section, "The Evolution of Transnational Feminisms", because it is apparent that the U.S. does not take a substantial interest in the global south. "In European and U.S. women's movement organizations there is surprisingly little discussion of how their countries' policies and economic practices affect women in other parts of the world." I know it is difficult to cover every country's womyn's movement, but simply taking the ideas and theories we learn about western feminism and trying to apply them to non-western movements can show how us a lot. Mainly that what is good for feminism and women here in America is not the standard for the rest of the world to live up to. That we must take the tradition, culture, politics that are unique to a people and work with those ideals, and at the same time western feminist movement can learn from our global sisters. A diversity of ideas, strategies, tactics and theory allows for expansion and momentum to the movement.

    We could definitely use more classes about transnational feminism, even specialized courses pertaining to regions or maybe issues in the global north or south that would allow for real comprehension of what feminism means to womyn around the world. "There is a tendency not to see the international arena as adding anything to causes at home." This is a stereotype womyn of the west need to fight and eradicate. Standing in solidarity with, but not overtaking, transnational womyn's movements is one way, but also learning the daily life and individual experiences of womyn in varying regions. I am excited that Ferree and Tripp are focusing on specific areas like Hong Kong, Turkey and Finland, rather than overgeneralizing the goals of womyn into too broad of a scope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie:
    In no way did I mean that a woman who wants a career and children cannot be a feminist. I should have clarified. This is from an e-mail I received about the group:

    "It is a conservative 'book club' for women, although our purpose goes far beyond just reading...We discuss politics and show that women can both be a corporate executive and still have enough time to bake cookies and take kids to soccer practice. It it, if you will, the polar opposite of NOW. We believe in equality, but we do not see feminism as the answer..."

    Ultimately, members of the group believe they are empowering women. However, they do not want to identify as feminist. Whether that's because they really are anti-feminist or just misunderstand feminism, I have no idea.

    From what I can tell, they want women to follow traditional gender roles; so by my definition, they are not feminist either.

    However, I think one could easily argue that they are part of the women's movement. But one could probably argue otherwise just as easily. I've always supported the notion that you can be "pro-life, shave your legs, etc. and still be a feminist." I guess I just don't know where to draw the line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bianca,

    Interesting! Again, I didn't actually think that's what you meant, but because many people do have a rigid idea of what it is to be a feminist, I used the wording as a jump-off point. Your post and questions were excellent! :-) I agree that the definition is and should be more fluid than it tends to interpreted, but you bring up a good point about where the line should be drawn.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer your first question directly, yes I think these women are part of a women's movement. I feel like there are many women's movements with their own philosophies about feminism & gender equality and whether this group sought to or not they have involved themselves in feminist discourse. Ironically they are rejecting the feminist label while actively embracing & adopting the core feminist goal of equality.

    What is happening here is the generalization of the feminist movement made on the false basis that feminism is a radical lifestyle rather than a political movement.

    I believe that if it were explained to them that feminism isn't a clothing choice, a hair style, a particular political party and definitely not a rejection of motherhood, then many conservative women would find that they are indeed feminist.

    This however, brings forth an interesting question: is it a woman's prerogative to label herself/her group as feminist or not even when her/their goals match the textbook definition of feminism?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the UCF group who is refusing to call themselves feminists are definitely part of the women's movement. I also think that they epitomize how the backlash is affecting feminism today. "I am not a feminist... but" I am working towards equality. I think they are afraid to claim the term because they don't have a proper definition of the word. In the book Manifesta, which you referenced, there is a quote "feminists are simply women who don't want to be treated like shit." Not a very scholarly definition but it is a valid point anyway. It seems like the book club has women who feel that way (they don’t want to be treated like shit) and if they are working towards equality I see them almost as allies. I also disagree with that group when they say that they are the polar opposite of NOW. I think that both this group and NOW have some major goals in common they are just utilizing different terminology.

    In regards to your second question I do think that there should be more emphasis on transnational issues in other classes. I do not think that only one course is enough although it is a start. I don’t even recall any mention of transnational issues in my introduction to women’s studies course. It would have been nice to go into this course with some prior knowledge, but I know that by the end of this course and all of our discussions we will all be well informed!

    ReplyDelete