Thursday, January 28, 2010

Later!

Hello my classmates, fellow feminists and social activists. Soy Ashley, and this is my fourth year at the University of Central Florida, where I am working towards an ... interdisciplinary studies women's studies track with a minor in women's studies degree. My history of activism includes on-campus progressive organizations, student senate, campaigning for liberal feminist student politicians. I've made a few zines, spent nights on end writing research papers, spent hours trying to force my friends and roommates into reading said research papers.. Then I went through a depressing slump where I curled up in my bed and declared that there was no point. Then I came out of it and went back to my friends and was like, oh, hi. So now I'm graduating, and in the meantime sitting on my futon wondering what I do now. Learn to cope with people not thinking the same way I do, and involve myself with those who do. I'm excited to be in this course, because of the (as Dr. Vest calls us) fellow scholars that will be discussing the material and general class subject. Many involved, some from theory classes in the past. I admire you all for what you do, and what you've accomplished thus far.

As far as my service learning project goes.. I'm going to commit myself to a mosaic of small projects, hopefully acquiring enough insight from each activity to a) string together transnational feminist theory, and b) work on establishing a clearer path for my next few years. Currently, I am working to assist Senator Rivas in passing a resolution through the student senate in support of the DREAM act. If you want to see true U.S. political destruction at play, please, attend one of the senate meetings.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you referenced Dr. Vest! Her feminsit theories course changed my life!

    Have a great semester my fellow scholar! :)

    ReplyDelete