Friday, March 5, 2010

SLing Post 3

I believe this is my third post--I've been sort of forgetful about my posting, but I really wanted to talk about the International Women's Day Panel Discussion event that happened yesterday. The panel was really diverse & knowledgeable (AND it included two of our own classmates, Kevin & Ross, both of whom were absolutely excellent). The topics were really varied and the panel's answers and perspectives were varied as well.

Don't get me wrong, everyone was incredibly respectful, but it didn't become a nod-fest where everyone agreed with each other; there were a few healthy debates that went on, and we unpacked a lot of issues. I actually think nearly everyone in the audience spoke and gave their opinion as well.

There was a definite global perspective taken on the discussion; the panel touched on issues such as the fact that there are more slaves in the world today than in the 1800s, the fact that girls in Afghanistan had acid thrown on their faces just for wanting to learn, the fact that in some cases domestic violence is seen as a pre-existing condition to insurance companies...I mean I could go on & on.

I definitely left the auditorium with a head filled to near explosion with facts and terrible statistics that have incited an even greater need to be active on my part. So I really wanted to make mention of the event from an audience perspective--it was great. Thanks & congrats to all involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment