Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Service Learning: Interview #2

My second interview in Nicaragua was with the Director of Public Relations for the National Theater "Ruben Dario." This interview fell into my lap haphazardly as Senor Daniel just happened to know this women and thought I may be able to get something from her. Her position was not politically appointed but she informed me of the Theater's history of independence from the political process because of it's mission to bring culture to Nicaragua. The interview went somewhat slowly because her experiences in the revolution were few.

However, she told me one story that I found to be very interesting. Two years prior, the National Theater invited a dance group to the theater. When they were sent audition materials they based their decision on what they saw on the tapes. However, problems arose when the group performed the dance to the Nicaraguan public. Turns out there were several transvestite performers and what seemed to disturb people was the fact that they were transvestites. During this part of the performance the entire cast comes down, dances with the audience, on the audience, etc. and several patrons were upset because this "is not what they paid to see." While, this may not be something I can use in my project it was something startling about the view on sexuality in Nicaragua.

No comments:

Post a Comment