Friday, February 5, 2010

Service Learning Update-VOX

On January 31, 2010 I attended my first VOX meeting in the student union. I learned about all of the upcoming events for this semester. Not only does VOX have a table set up each Wednesday they also have events such as “Let’s Talk about Sex Baby” in March. They are also planning on counter protesting GAP on February 16th and 17th. GAP is an organization that compares abortion to genocide and they will be set up on the free speech lawn. They have been known to give out false information so our protest will consist of only the facts and more than likely a chant such as “Trust Women.” I am really excited to be apart of the protest!

On Wednesday February 3rd I started my volunteer hours. I was at the VOX table in front of the student union from noon until 2pm. I helped hand out condoms and give out informational pamphlets and helped answered any questions that students had.

Next week is National Condom Week because it is the week leading up to Valentines Day. VOX is planning on having a table in front of the student union a few extra days other than Wednesday. I plan on volunteering again this coming week to help raise consciousness about safe sex practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment